curl-and-php

Re: Unable to get cURL/https + mod_chroot to work -- trying again

From: hanji <hanji_at_uno-code.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 14:38:40 -0600

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 07:49:39 -0600
hanji <hanji_at_uno-code.com> wrote:
> The problem is that I have cURL, mod_chroot, and the application will hang when trying to connect over SSL. If I remove mod_chroot and the application works as expected. The behaviour is a perpetual hanging.
>
> My versions are as follows:
> mod_chroot-0.4
> curl-7.16.4
> php-4.4.8_pre20070816
> mod_security-2.1.1-r1
> apache-2.0.59-r5
>
> My original post to the mailing list can be located here:
> http://curl.haxx.se/mail/curlphp-2007-04/0023.html
>
> Since that post, I've upgraded curl and php, etc but the problem persists. I have a strace that I performed tonight with the area isolated here:
> http://www.uno-code.com/files/curl.txt
>
> IPs 'xxx' out are my DNS server and the target server. It appears that resolv.conf is not the problem here since it does resolve. The problem appears to be around here:
>
> 6923 waitpid(-1, 0xbfdb0248, WNOHANG|WSTOPPED) = 0
> 6923 select(0, NULL, NULL, NULL, {1, 0}) = 0 (Timeout)
> 6923 waitpid(-1, 0xbfdb0248, WNOHANG|WSTOPPED) = 0
> 6923 select(0, NULL, NULL, NULL, {1, 0}) = 0 (Timeout)
>
> With the last upgrade to cURL, there doesn't seem to be a curl-ca-bundle.crt anywhere, and I'm guessing it's referring to cert(s) in /etc/ssl/certs. I went ahead and added those to my jail and no go. Both cURL and PHP were build with SSL.
>
> Any ideas???? I really need to get this worked out.. and any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hello all

Anyone have any ideas? I'm really pressed to get this working. Any
advice is greatly appreciated.

I also determined that the cURL connection to 443 in fact works, but it
takes approximately an hour??? It's crazy, but it's definitely
connecting to the site and is slowly able to retrieve information.
Again, removing mod_chroot and everything works fine, so there is
something definitely wrong with my chroot. I posted a mail on the
mod_chroot mailing list as well, and no response there as well.

Thanks!
hanji