curl-and-php

cURL seems to hang randomly when requesting XML pages

From: Tobias <tobias.kappe_at_tiscali.nl>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 17:00:50 +0200

Dear cURL people,

I am using the cURL functions on my local php4 server. My goal is to
fetch statistics from the World of Warcraft armory (europe:
http://armory.wow-europe.com). These statistics are provided in XML
format, i.e:
http://armory.wow-europe.com/guild-info.xml?r=Mazrigos&n=Horde+Hit
+Squad&p=1 (warning, heavy XML page).

The trick is that the armory shows the names of the characters in pages,
and hence I put my script into a little loop, fetching data from the
source page-by-page.

The problem is that somewhere in the loop (which repeats 11 times) the
program hangs. I created some debug output, and gathered that there is
no certain point the program hangs. It is one of the 11 pages.

Could it be that the folks over at Blizzard secured their website so
that I cannot request x amount of pages per y amount of time? This seems
plausible, but considering other people have done what I am trying to
do, also with cURL and PHP, and I looked up their code, this is probably
not the case.

I even tried putting a sleep() between the requests, but yet my script
keeps hanging after curl_exec() on one of the 11 pages.

Data:
Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft)
PHP 4.4.2-1.1
Apache 2.0