curl-and-php

Re: Using curl for a sftp connection

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 23:51:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 17 May 2007, Benedikt Allkemper wrote:

>> the exact error that happens, what libcurl says, what it returns etc

> Can you explain, how I can get to this information. I use curl in my php
> script and php doesn't output any notice, warning or error message.

I can't, not more than to use CURLOPT_VERBOSE. Someone should add better
tracing abilities to PHP/CURL. I always recommend using the curl command line
tool for that reason.

>> whether you really want implicit SSL
> It doesn't mather to me as long as the transfer is encrypted (both login
> data and application data)

Well, it matters to you since the server most likely works with one of the
ways and possibly not with the one you pick at random.

> Using Wireshark to analyse the traffic, I've found the following:
> Using ftp:// shows me a lot of packages using ftp protocol (download
> successful)

With ftp-ssl enabled? If so, what's the problem?

> Using ftps:// shows me only some tcp packages (no download) It seems as
> there is no real attempt to connect to the ftp server using ftps://.

ftps:// connects to an ftps server, not to a ftp one as you ask for an
immediate SSL connection then and ftp servers don't do that.

I.e ftps is usually used to port 990 and it makes use of SSL immediately.

ftp:// with ftp-ssl enabled usually connects to port 21 to uses FTP commands
to negotiate switching to SSL-use.