curl-and-php

Re: Using curl for a sftp connection

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 22:48:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 17 May 2007, Benedikt Allkemper wrote:

> I want to download a file from my server using ftp over ssl.

sftp is not ftps. ftp over ssl is what we call ftps. FTP-like tranfers over
SSH is what we call sftp.

> Changing the second line to $url =
> "ftps://username:pw_at_host:21/path/file"; does not establish an encrypted
> connection.

You should tell us:

  - the exact error that happens, what libcurl says, what it returns etc

  - libcurl version and operating system in use

  - whether you really want implicit SSL as that's what you get with the
    FTPS:// in the url, while the standard prefers the ftp:// approach with
    CURLOPT_FTP_SSL set to the desired alternative.

> I've read and tried to understand the plenty of options and did a lot of
> trial and error, but wasn't able to get a sftp connection.

For sftp, you should use sftp:// with a libcurl that supports it.