curl-and-php

Basic PHP Question: Auth against W2k PDC with Curl

From: Paetzold Daniel (VW/SCC1 N/SCC1) <Daniel.Paetzold_at_de.bosch.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:44:53 +0100

Hi everyone,

I am looking for away, to authentice against our M$ W2k Server in PHP.
The program needs to check if the given user/password is a valid Windows NT- User or not (like ntlm_auth does in command-line).

The problem is: i do not know what protokoll/application one can use for this. I tried a few examples but it fails without any explanation in CURL.
My best Try was this one (unfortunatelly it doesn't return anything):
    $url='http://dnctrl:445';
    $ch=curl_init();
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $url);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HTTPAUTH, CURLAUTH_NTLM);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_USERPWD, "$ntlm_user:$ntlm_pass");
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
    $xml = curl_exec ($ch);
    curl_close ($ch);

    echo "<pre>" . $xml ."</pre>";

I know this is terribly wrong, as our PDC doesn't support http for sure, but i tried many other urls too.

So my questions are:
Am i am right here to try this with CURL/PHP?
If yes:
Which Url do i have to use to communicate to our W2k PDC (i think some protocol that is supported by Winbind one the server)?
How do i get informations about what went wrong here (instead of getting an empty screen)?

Sorry for those Questions, but i tried to query google and this website for a few hours and i did'nt find any answers for the problem.
Please help me!

Regards,
Daniel Pätzold