curl-and-php

cURL speed problem

From: Nick Papanikolaou <leatherwolfgr_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 03:48:42 -0800 (PST)

Hi everyone. I am building a website that performs
some requests to another server, retrieves the
information and then displays it. The requests are
made with XML files that are dynamically created from
my page. My website works like this:

There is one page with a form where the user must
enter the search criteria. Then the form posts the
user entered data to another webpage.

The second webpage puts them into an XML, posts it
using cURL and stores the response into a string
variable. The variable then is parsed with PHP’s
simple XML and echoes them.

The problem is that went the second page loads, the
status bar say that the page is loaded while the page
seems blank. After a while the page starts to load
again and the displays the retrieved data. I tried to
find out why this happens and I erased everything
except from the XML that is posted and the cURL code
that posts it and assigns the response to a variable,
so I came up with the conclusion that cURL is
responsible. The XML that I send is about 15 to 20
lines long and it’s well formatted so I don’t think
the XML is the problem, but the response XML might be
huge depending on the search data entered.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem or how to
display a “Loading…” or something while the page seems
blank? I’m sorry for the huge post. Thanks in advance!