curl-and-php

Re: curl_exec via HTTPS very slow in NuOAP

From: Michael Shuler <michael_at_unixtx.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 10:21:50 -0500

Thomas Langfeld wrote:

> So, while all webservice-calls sent via HTTP (nusoap uses sockets for
> communication) go through very fine, when i switch to HTTPS (now
> nusoap uses curl for communication), the same calls take over
> 20-30(!!!) seconds.

Sounds like DNS issues. If the call succeeds, but is delayed, then the
remote server may be querying reverse lookup of your IP address and
completing the call after the DNS query times out. Sort out proper DNS
for your local server. If the call is not successful, then please,
provide further detail.

> We use debian woody,
> i cannot update.

Sure you can. Woody rocks, don't get me wrong - we use it extensively
for mission-critical servers. When one has selected a Linux
distribution, in my opinion, one should always learn the basics of
rolling software that the package system can keep track of - be it RPM,
deb, tgz, etc. This way you can sanely update software that your distro
lags behind on. Or you can use a third-party resource for more recent
backports - I use dotdeb.org's packages on a two Woody web servers for
mysql-4.0.20, php-4.3.7, and (not the latest, but) curl-7.10.6. Those
servers do not use any curl code, so it was only needed as a dependant
of the php build, but you get the idea.

Warm Regards,
Michael Shuler