How to handle a response with an empty body

From: Konrad Mathieu via curl-users <curl-users_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 11:16:30 +0200

Hello and thanks very much for having me!

I am writing an implementation of an xml based interface. Unfortunately,
whoever wrote the interface designed one of its function to only return
a body on errors.

Curl (in php) will for good reasons not close the connection but prompt
an error along the lines of "no chunk, no close, no size. Assume close
to signal end".

So here's my question: How can I make curl accept the non-standard
behaviour and still close the connection and return just the header?

Cheers,
Konrad