Re: I need some clarification on the curl verbose output

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-users <curl-users_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 16:32:30 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019, Josh sak via curl-users wrote:

> * TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS alert, Client hello (1):
>
> What is the meaning of TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS alert, Client hello (1) after the
> connection is closed, is it trying to reconnect?

It is not *after* the disconnect, it is *in* the disconnect I believe.
Possibly the output is confused. I don't know why you'd see a client hello
there, and it isn't typical I think.

> Is it being sent by the server, or by the client?

It says "OUT" which is from curl's perspective so from the client. Also
"client hello" is a client TLS message.

> I have seen some curl outputs which don't have the string and `Closing
> connection 0` is the last output, what does that mean?

It means curl had no reason to forcibly close the connection, which is the
normal and thus the connection could be reused for a subsequent request,
should there be any.

In your case, you've manually added a header (Connection: close) that prevents
that and makes curl explictly kill the connection.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se | Get the best commercial curl support there is - from me