Supporting GPG encrypted netrc files

From: Adam Greene <curl_at_mzpqnxow.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 10:45:17 -0400

Hello,

Recently, git started to support GPG encrypted ~/.netrc files via having a
~/.netrc.gpg file present which is checks for before using ~/.netrc. This
obviously has a security benefit since it let's your plaintext credentials
be encrypted while they are sitting on the disk.

Is there any interest in adding similar functionality to curl/libcurl? I
realize there are many ways to do this with various hacks like shell
aliases, functions, etc. but might it be worth adding a native way to do
this to curl? Many of the hacks to accomplish this aren't quite perfect as
they either temporarily leave the decrypted netrc.gpg file contents on
disk, which is less than desirable, or put the username and password in the
command-line, which isn't quite perfect either.

I know wget and probably a slew of other tools dating back many years
utilize ~/.netrc as well, but in my mind curl is one of the more common
tools in modern use, which is why I am bringing it up.

Also, if there is already a clean/native way to do this in curl, please
enlighten me.

Thanks,
Adam