Parallelism is coming

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 09:41:02 +0200 (CEST)

Hi friends,

This is just a heads up about something I'm working on.

I've started working on making the curl tool support parallel transfers. You
can check out the early work in the bagder/parallel-transfers development
branch in git. And when I say early, it means it doesn't pass the tests yet.

As a first step I've rearchitected the code to first setup all transfers and
then perform them. This will allow us to *either* do them serially like today,
or in parallel. Or a combination.

By doing this code change I get myself some challenges to maintain the
existing functionality so now it'll take me a while to make sure all tests run
fine.

Assuming I can manage to do that, the next still will be to actually introduce
parallelism as an option.

  - Parallel transfers will then of course use the multi interface from the
    tool instead of the easy, like today.

  - I'm tempted to spend one of our last single-letter command line options for
    this! (-Z probably)

  - I'm sure doing the progress meter will be fun when doing N parallel
    transfers. I think I'll mimic the current one but add upp all concurrent
    transfers. Possibly add a new column for number of transfers or something.

  - I'm interested in ideas and suggestions on what further options we need and
    want to control concurrency and parallelism. Consider this command line:
    "curl -Z https://example.com/image[1-1000].jpg -O" - presumably a default
    setup shouldn't actually try to fire up all thouse one THOUSAND transfers
    at once. For everyone's sake. But how many should it start at once?

  - I *think* we can get away with the simple option of either serial or
    parallel transfers and only do the URLs in parallel up to the first --next
    since then a command line can actually mix, and it can do N files in
    parallel first and then do another M files in parallel, if you want to have
    some control of order but still have some transfers simultaneous.

What else do we need to consider?