Re: curl command line option re-organization suggestion

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 21:21:39 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 26 Aug 2018, Ladar Levison wrote:

> start hiding some of the more obscure/unused options from the standard
> "-h|--help" output, and only show them if "--verbose" is provided in
> addition to "-h|--help". That paradigm has grown relatively common.

This sounds like a pretty good option to me. The downside might be that it
only offers two levels and it's going to be hard to draw the line there and
decide on which side each option ends up...

An alternative would be to offer --help2 and --help3 etc... Or even
--help-http, --help-ftp and --help-all ... (I think I prefer this last one)

> start building protocol specific binaries, when compiling curl/libcurl.
> For example, 'curl-http' 'curl-smtp' 'curl-imap' 'curl-sftp' 'curl-scp'

> these doppelgangers could then use the executable name to print more
> relevant, and detailed help, along with additional, and, or advanced command
> line options related and relevant to the protocol associated with the
> executable.

Using this approach solely for the purpose of hiding some options from the
--help list seems a bit of a stretch I think...