Status of Progress Bar

From: Stephen McDowell <sjm324_at_cornell.edu>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2018 22:11:14 -0700

Hello,

I was searching around to see if I should add a new issue on GitHub related to the progress bar. Searching the mailing lists, the questions are mostly about “how do I get it working” stuff, but from the CONTRIBUTING guide I found the following TODO 22.7: remove progress meter from lib curl: https://curl.haxx.se/docs/todo.html#remove_progress_meter_from_libcu <https://curl.haxx.se/docs/todo.html#remove_progress_meter_from_libcu>

> applications can and should do their own progress meters using the progress callback

Is this referring to `curl` the command-line tool, or is this referring to the developer interface?

If the intent is to remove the progress bar from `curl` the command line tool, then no issue is warranted. If the progress bar is going to be kept in the `curl` command-line tool, then I will raise the issue explaining one way to reproduce the problem. Short version is that it sometimes skips the carriage return, which on Travis CI can lead to killed jobs.

Thank you for any insight :)

-Stephen