Re: curl: (28) Operation timed out

From: Ray Satiro <raysatiro_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 14:04:50 -0400

On 4/21/2018 7:55 AM, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> I don't know if this is the best place to ask this, but I might as well start
> somewhere.
>
> On a FreeBSD -11.1 amd64 machine, I am running a script from:
> https://github.com/extremeshok/clamav-unofficial-sigs that causes the
> following error message to be displayed:
>
> curl: (28) Operation timed out after 180000 milliseconds with 64251250 out of
> 304224491 bytes received
>
> The rest of the script works fine. I have tried running the script at
> different times, all with the same results. I am not sure what the problem is
> or how to correct it. I am hoping that someone can assist me.

That script sets the default maximum transfer time to 180 seconds
[1][2][3]. If the transfer takes longer than that it fails. That is too
short an amount of time to set as the default. In my opinion it rarely
makes sense to set that option. If you know the bandwidth and the size
of the file you are downloading even then it would need to be a very
high number to account for any possible network conditions. In this case
it looks like neither is known. I suggest change it to 0 in the conf to
disable and open an issue in their repo to discuss this with them.

[1]:
https://github.com/extremeshok/clamav-unofficial-sigs/blob/master/config/master.conf#L438
[2]:
https://github.com/extremeshok/clamav-unofficial-sigs/blob/master/clamav-unofficial-sigs.sh#L292