Handling of wildcards in CNAME records

From: Ray Van Dolson via curl-users <curl-users_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 18:13:00 -0700

Trying:

  $ curl -I http://master-stage.developers.arcgis.com

But getting

  curl: (6) Could not resolve host: master-stage.developers.arcgis.com; Name or service not known"

This is w/ curl 7.29.0 on RHEL7.

DNS record is a bit odd:

  master-stage.developers.arcgis.com. CNAME *.developers.ago.esri.com.

[ The wildcard record resolves to an RFC1918 IP address via internal DNS
servers so won't work on the Internet -- yes, I'm doing this from
somewhere where it will work :-) ]

dig handles fine but curl and other CLI tools don't seem to work. I
suspect maybe this is something my version of glibc's stub resolver
doesn't handle well, because curl on my OSX machine (curl 7.43.0 linked
against whatever Mac uses for its stub resolver) handles the above
without complaint.

On my RHEL7 machine other glibc linked tools like ping and wget also
don't like this DNS name.

Any ideas?

Ray