Re: Mail received but message body is empty

From: Jeremy Nicoll via curl-users <curl-users_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 13:41:35 +0100

On Thu, 22 Jun 2017, at 08:15, Dutch Raf via curl-users wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> What I mean by: "even the filename is mentioned in the headers".....see
> the line between *****

Sorry. I must have looked at each header half a dozen times before
querying this, and
still I didn't 'see' the filename.

> So the subject is used from the file, but the message body is
> ignored....somehow.

Does the text in the message body start with a line containing only a
dot? I seem to
remember that there's something like that to mark the end of a message
body, in
SMTP mails in transit, but the dot is often stripped out of incoming
mails by the
receiving server so users tend not to know about it.

You can google for: smtp "dot-stuffing" to find out more about it.

Does that last 'Anonymous' hold a clue? There was nothing in your curl
command about
how you authenticate yourself to the server; could it have stripped the
body out of the
mail for safety reasons?

>> Does the SMTP server create any logs - in particular does it show the
>> entire message on its travels?

> It probably does, but I am not the administrator on the MS Exchange
> server, so I don't have access to any MS Exchange logs.

I think you're going to have to speak to the administrator.

> Is cURL meant only to send a single mail if that's what's in the file
> mentioned in
> the cURL command? I'm wondering what would happen if your text file
> contained a pair of outbound emails. Would two get sent? And if two were
> sent,
> would the body of the first one still fail to arrive at the destination?
>
> I don't think that is possible as it is not described in RFC
> 5322<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322.html>.

Worth a try though, not least because it might produce an interesting
error
message somewhere.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.