Re: curl-users Digest, Vol 141, Issue 11

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 14:53:56 +0200

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 02:03:17PM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Tue, 16 May 2017, Rich Gray wrote:
>
> >I've contemplated something like a --end-config option to mark the last
> >line of the configuration data on standard input.
>
> ... and I'm contemplating something like an "--act" which makes curl start
> handling/transferring what was read from the file so far before this
> argument was used and then curl would continue reading from the file to get
> more instructions...
>
> That way a user could keep piping in options to curl while transfers are in
> progress.

This sounds like what was talked about in Nürnberg (repurposing --next to do
this was another proposal). But, I think this proposal is about using stdin for
both configuration and data; once --end-config is parsed, the config file would
stop being read and stdin could then be used for reading data. Unfortunately,
this would be highly inconsistent because something like -d_at_- wouldn't work
this way (since stdin is read while the config file is being parsed) whereas
-F_at_- would work (since the file contents are read later). But, maybe this
inconsistency is worth the increased flexibility.

>>> Dan