Re: Adding "OPTIONS *" support, what to call the option?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2017 11:14:16 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 4 May 2017, Dan Fandrich wrote:

>> My current version calls it --optionsstar but I'm not overly happy with
>> this name.
>
> This seems a needlessly specific solution.

I opted on that based on previous discussions we've had and it is mostly to
make it more obvious to users what the option would be used for. But I'm open
for discussing different takes.

> Why not something more general,
> like --raw-url that does no normalization of the URL sent to the server? It
> would then be used like "curl --send-raw-url -X OPTIONS
> 'http://example.com/*'".

In this case it isn't really raw, it would actually just need to skip the
initial slash from the path in the HTTP request. --skip-path-slash ?

> If some future HTTP standard extends the spec to e.g. allow * as a wildcard
> (to make "OPTIONS FOO*" valid) or some other scheme needs more control over
> the path, this would still work.

Right, or if you want to torture your web server and see how it likes getting
many asterisks with OPTIONS or whatever, you could do that as well...