SMTP TLS Problem - version 7.52.0-DEV

From: David Wood <dwood_at_kimberlyroadhouse.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 17:31:13 -0600

I have a small handfull of email servers in Mexico (different companies,
different domains/servers) that don't play well with TLS.

I make the following API call to use TLS:
curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_USE_SSL, (long)CURLUSESSL_TRY);

The curl session makes the call to start TLS:
> STARTTLS

and the remote server responds with:
< 454 TLS not available due to temporary reason

And the curl session then hangs. After 15-20 minutes, curl finally
responds with:
* Recv failure: Connection timed out
* Send failure: Broken pipe
* Closing connection 52

Is there something different I have to do to release/terminate the
connection as soon as I get the 454 response?