Re: curl hangs in poll

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 19:32:34 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 26 Dec 2016, ganesh patwardhan via curl-users wrote:

> I am using very old version of 'curl'  (version : 7.20.1,  I don't want to
> upgrade for some other reason)

Sometimes people say things like this and it ever makes any sense. How are you
supposed to fix the problem if you can't update your curl version? If you
can't update, you *can't* fix the problem you can only look for work-arounds
that don't require libcurl to change. If you _can_ update to a fixed libcurl
version, you most certainly can consider upgrading to something newer than
7.20.1 just as well as patching it manually and upgrading to that custom
version!

If you want to do the minimal upgrade to fix your problem, I would recommend
you bisect your way until a version that doesn't have this problem and then
you upgrade to that. Or perhaps even just get the most recent version of curl
instead and go with that!

If you want more work, you figure out the first version that works (released
after your version) and then you spend a lot of time on backporting what you
believe might be the correct fix back to 7.20.1 and you install that.

> I read few posts on internet and they say its due to abrupt connection
> termination by ftp server. Any idea / work around ??

You didn't give us enough information to even know you're using FTP so it's
not really possible to even guess what the problem might be. We've fixed quite
a number of things in those 6+ years since we released 7.20.1 but I can't
recall if this was an "abrubt FTP server termination" problem.

I'm sorry, but we just don't have the energy to spend much time on ancient
curl versions.