Fwd: curl says the certificate CN does not match the host name while it is

From: Daniel Savard <md.gtd.dgisti.ds_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 16:59:17 -0400

Hi,

I am running curl on a RHEL 6 with curl 4.19.7 and I am getting the
following strange error:

$ curl -v --cacert "./mycastore"
https://my.host.name:1043/apps/app1/index.html
* About to connect() to my.host.name port 1043 (#0)
* Trying 10.217.89.10... connected
* Connected to my.host.name (10.217.89.10) port 1043 (#0)
* Initializing NSS with certpath: sql:/etc/pki/nssdb
* CAfile: ./mycastore
  CApath: none
* SSL: certificate subject name 'my.host.name' does not match target host
name 'my.host.name'
* NSS error -12276
* Closing connection #0
curl: (51) SSL: certificate subject name 'my.host.name' does not match
target host name 'my.host.name'

After searching the mailing list I found these:
        https://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2014-03/0049.html
        https://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2014-03/0051.html#start

The recommendation is to upgrade to a newer version. However, since I have
absolutely no control over the OS version and packages on this server, I
cannot use a newer version. Anyone has already encountered and solved this
problem otherwise than by a software upgrade?

TIA
Daniel