Re: file deletion when ftp upload in progress

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 16:40:29 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016, ganesh patwardhan via curl-users wrote:

> What happens to 'curl ftp upload' progress when source file is deleted
> during transfer.

That depends on your operating system.

> When I deleted the file which was getting transferred,  curl did not fail
> but successfully transferred the file to FTP server.Is this is expected
> behavior (Does curl store file in temp directory, or copy it completely in
> RAM ? )

curl really doesn't do anything special, but it has the file opened for
reading during the entire transfer, which for some operating systems (like
Linux and other *nix versions) will mean that it can continue reading it until
completion.

Other operating systems (like Windows) will instead refuse to remove the file
while an application has it opened.