Re: Curl installation on HP-UX

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 11:29:48 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015, Michel.Ract-Mugnerot-ext_at_sanofi.com wrote:

> We are facing a situation with installing curl on HP-UX system (HP-UX
> B.11.31 U ia64). The configure script ends up with this mention: "configure:
> exit 1" but we cannot figure out at which stage this error is produced.

Your compiler seems to be the reason.

The last thing the configure script says before it exits is this:

  error: compiler does not halt on function prototype mismatch.

This is not caused by a configure script we wrote, but from a macro provided
by autoconf. I believe it is the AC_PROG_CC check, used from within the
XC_CHECK_PROG_CC check that our configure.ac uses.

I'm not at all familiar with HP-UX nor its native compiler (versions) but
these are configure checks I don't think we have changed in a long while and
yet people have build curl for HP-UX before. It makes me wonder what makes
your case special. (The log complaining on the +O2 option also indicates that
our configure adjustments for HPUX isn't perfect since your compiler doesn't
recognize it.)

So, what compiler version is this? Is it as updated as you can make it? Does
it recognized function prototype mismatches in code otherwise? (I'm curious if
the configure check is faulty or if the compiler is crazy.)

A work-around for you is probably to install and use gcc instead.