Re: The built-in manual for curl -M

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 22:08:01 +0200

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 12:47:42PM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> Hey
>
> curl has always had its man page built in and visible with the curl -M
> option. This was originally motivated by the platforms that lack a decent
> man page system.
>
> In addition to the man page, it also concatenates the 'docs/MANUAL' file at
> the end. My guess is that this is completely useless and that hardly anyone
> ever read that far down the -M output.
>
> My plan is to remove the MANUAL from the -M output. The text is gzipped in
> most installs so it would only mean removing about 10K of data.
>
> curl -M right now outputs 3723 lines. Without the MANUAL it goes down to
> 2681 lines. A 1042 lines delta.
>
> Objections?

I'll frequently pipe curl -M into less and use search for some concept I'm
trying to research rather than reading everything from the top. MANUAL gives a
lot more detail and examples for some things so it's pretty handy having the
two biggest bits of documentation of the command-line tool available to search
in one place. It wouldn't be an insurmountable problem if MANUAL were removed,
but if I have a vote it would be to keep it.

>>> Dan