Download of files using curl is not reliable

From: Freek de Kruijf <f.de.kruijf_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 22:54:09 +0200

When downloading rpm files from an openSUSE software repository via a Wi-Fi
connection I often get the message that checksum does not match. There are
packages lost on the Wi-Fi connection. A ping of 100 shows a few percent loss.

When downloading that rpm file using the command:

curl -L <URL of rpm file> -o <filename>

there is no message about any error.

However using shasum to calculate the check sum, I get an answer that does not
match the check sum it should have. Repeating the 2 actions often gives a
different check sum, especially on large files. But also short files are not
always transferred with a matching check sum.

I assume TCP is used as the transfer protocol, so I expect this transfer to be
error free. Is there an explanation for this behavior or is my assumption
wrong?

--
fr.gr.
Freek de Kruijf