RE: A small nudge to fix a frequent -X misuse?

From: Bill Mercer <bmercer_at_nccer.org>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 12:51:22 +0000

I understand the goal, but I am not sure this will actually achieve it.

> The problem with doing this in verbose mode only is that these users don't
> normally use verbose. If they had used verbose they also most probably

However also consider how often those same users will be using an outdated version, and relying on old documentation.

Consider also that most of the existing web sites and forum posts that recommend these superfluous options are never going to be updated.

Personally I would not have any problem with this change, but you're not going to be able to fix people not reading the documentation, and that's the real cause of the issue.

My biggest concern is that the new warning will just generate confusion, because most people will either ignore the warning, or will interpret it as an error, because they don't know what superfluous means, or other silliness.