Re: How to use .pfx in certificate store in CURL via SSL from Windows 7

From: Von Hawkins via curl-users <curl-users_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 17:55:16 +0000 (UTC)

Brendan,
cURL (most modern versions) expects the private key to be in an NSS cert store, much like what Firefox uses.
For most client programs trying to use private keys stored in CAPI/CNG or any other secure trust store, you have to provide some way to map from the public key to the private key.
In theory, cURL could call the the key vi the SQL-Lite NSS db, which could be mapped to CAPI as a PKCS#11 provider.
It's been a while, and I normally work with the older pre-sqllite versions.  Also, I can't run sample commands where I am so there are certainly some errors in the steps below.
First you need to create an NSS certificate db.  For this you'll need a windows build of the NSS Tools
#create a cert9.db, key4.db and <secmod.db or pkcs11.txt>
certutil -N -d sql:<directory>
#associate the secmod.db with something that can read certs from CAPI#below example assume using ActivClient for smartcards.
modutil -dbdir sql:<path\to\directory> -add ActivClient -libfile "C:\Program Files\ActivIdentity\ActivClient\acpkcs211.dll"
#list to see the module addedmodutil -dbdir sql:<path\to\directory> -list  {or -rawlist}
#If you don't have a something like ActivClient, then you'll likely need the nsscapi.dll.  I've never compiled or used it, but it should give you access to CAPI certs.#I'm may be skipping a couple steps here, but if everything worked well to this point, you should be able to see your certificates
#list just the public certs<path\to\NSScertutil>\certutil -d <path\to\cert9.db_don't_name_cert9.db> -L #list the private keys<path\to\NSScertutil>\certutil -d <path\to\cert9.db_don't_name_cert9.db> -K

Once the cert store is created and linked, you should be able to call the certs/keys from cURL using the syntax in the man pages/documentation
--Von