RE: desperately needs to update an older version of 'curl & libcurl'

From: Rob Sharkey <rsharkey_at_bce-inc.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 21:56:59 -0700

To add;

The current system does have OpenSSL installed, version OpenSSL 0.9.8k 25
Mar 2009. Is there a way to repoint curl and libcurl at OpenSSL instead of
GNUTLS?

This system does not have curl-config included.

The actual error during connection testing is;

curl: (35) gnutls_handshake() failed: A TLS fatal alert has been received.

The puzzling thing is that every once in a while it works and a connection
goes through, about once every six or seven tries.

Thanks again..

Hello All, hope this is the right place for this, if not please kindly tell
me off..

We've recently fallen into a situation where we desperately needs to update
an older version of 'curl & libcurl' on embedded Mandriva 2008.1 systems (no
GUI/X windows) they do have 'urpmi' , these systems do card processing and
recently got new certificates and are now failing (sha-1 to sha-2 change).

It seems to be that the gnutls is the actual piece that's failing but that
is what is bundled with the version we have. Newer versions seem to use
OpenSSL and not gnutls.

We've tried several time to update curl and libcurl but 'urpmi' gets removed
during the removal of the existing 'libcurl' so installing the newer version
becomes impossible without 'urpmi', tried just copying files into the system
but that causes kernel faults.

Current version installed;

curl 7.19.4 (i586-mandriva-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.19.4 GnuTLS/2.6.4 zlib/1.2.3
c-ares/1.6.0 libidn/1.13 libssh2/1.0

Protocols: tftp ftp telnet dict ldap ldaps http file https ftps scp sftp

Features: AsynchDNS GSS-Negotiate IDN IPv6 Largefile NTLM SSL libz

Version we would like to get to atleast;

curl 7.21.7 (i586-mandriva-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.21.7 OpenSSL/1.0.0d
zlib/1.2.5 libidn/1.22 libssh2/1.2.9

Protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher http https imap imaps ldap ldaps pop3
pop3s rtsp scp sftp smtp smtps telnet tftp

Features: GSS-Negotiate IDN IPv6 Largefile NTLM SSL libz

Any thoughts would be truly appreciated.

Thanks

Rshark