RE: "Authentication failed" when trying to connect to Imap account

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 20:36:53 +0100

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014, Beatrix Willius wrote:

> > Certain servers are known to give us problems in our DIGEST-MD5
> > implement and as the person who maintains the email protocols here,
> > I've not got to the bottom of it yet, due to lack of access to such servers
> > - my apologies :(
>
> This is the easiest problem of all to solve. I'll contact you.

Many thanks for that and allowing me to verify that curl 7.37.1 works as it should.

For anyone reading this thread with interest, I emailed Beatrix privately after she sent me server details and I test the latest code base. In summary DIGEST-MD5 authenticate was successful with her server using DIGEST-MD5 with both a Windows x64 SSPI build, that uses the Windows API to perform the Digest, as well as a Windows x64 OpenSSL build that performs the Digest natively within curl code.

There have been a couple of fixes in this code over the last couple of months, though I suspect it is the first that fixes this particular problems...

The first was that I added the qop into the client's response in 7.37.0 – this was a bit of a gamble when I implemented it but I found through the SSPI implementation that it sent it and our native routines didn’t ;-) As such my belief was that any server that was expecting a qop may fail.

The second fix was in 7.37.1 where we changed the length of the cnonce to make it longer.

Kind Regards

Steve