Re: Re: cURL TODO : 15.3 prevent file overwriting

From: Deepak Singh <deepak.sn_at_samsung.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 05:02:35 +0000 (GMT)
Samsung Enterprise Portal mySingle

>> The list of options is very extensive and I was not able to find any suitable
>> option for this.
>>
>> Currently used '!' as the option with long name as 'no_clobber'.

>We don't necessarily even need a short option. They are precious commodities,
>and if noone has needed this option after 16 years, it's probably not going to
>be popular enough to deserve one.

My intention for providing a short option was to cover all combinations in which

(-o and -O) options are used. But, it is okay if short option is not required. I will

provide only long option --clobber whose false value i.e. (--no-clobber) will

be useful for us to prevent file overwriting when used with (-o and -O) options.

>> I can not use "no-clobber" because "no-option" is used for disabling the
> >boolean options.

> Why not create a "clobber" option that is true by default? Then --no-clobber
> will work fine and as expected.

I will provide only long option --clobber whose false value i.e. (--no-clobber) will

be useful for us to prevent file overwriting when used with (-o and -O) options.

Now the --no-clobber option can be used in following ways:

- curl -O --no-clobber http://curl.haxx.se/docs/manpage.html

- curl -o <manpage.html> --no-clobber http://curl.haxx.se/docs/manpage.html

Please share your views, I will create a patch and share it once confirmed.

Thanks & Regards,

Deepak Singh