'/' in multipart boundary

From: Tim Bornholtz <tbornholtz_at_sigmasys.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 18:29:18 -0500

I'm using an older version of curl on aix: curl 7.9.3
(powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0) libcurl 7.9.3 (OpenSSL 0.9.8y) (ipv6 enabled)

I'm sending a file to a web service with the command (filenames changed):

curl -F pdf=@source.xml http://mylocalserver > output.xml

Ever once in a while the process fails and in my server I see a message
about a strange multipart form data boundary:

Throwable occurred: javax.ws.rs.WebApplicationException:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Error parsing media type
'multipart/form-data; boundary=curlLkEd+qkq6RFQZC8Xbr/OKsgSOEG'

The boundary has a '/' in there and that's against the MIME spec.

Is this a known problem? Are there things I can do to work around this
issue?

I'm going to recommend that they upgrade to the latest version available
from here: http://curl.haxx.se/download.html but even then those
versions for AIX are many versions behind current.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim