Re: Curl HTTP Get Requests Slow Under MS-Windows?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 14:31:46 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014, Kev wrote:

> However, as a test I added the TcpAckFrequencyRegistry setting to my Windows
> 7 VM that is performing the download (not the server). After a restart the
> file downloaded in approx. 9 seconds which is roughly what I expect. I also
> tested removing the registry setting and then restarting. As expected,
> performance dropped back to what it was previously.

The Windows TCP stack keeps playing this kind of tricks on us and we keep
doing weird tricks trying to strike back. It's a never-ending battle.

Previously we've debated setting SO_RCVBUF on windows to something large to
make it download faster by default but we never settled on anything. Maybe you
can try just setting that to something largish just to see what difference it
can make for you?

A fine place to add it in the code for testing could probably be in the
lib/connect.c:Curl_sndbufset() function...