Re: Please stop breaking curl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 23:29:19 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 9 Nov 2013, Richard Levenberg wrote:

> I run a service and have developed modules for Drupal and Wordpress
> that integrate with the service.

> Going forward, I would like for the semantics of the curl options to
> NOT mean different things on different OS's.

> What that says to me is that the curl development is either unaware of
> my use case or doesn't care.

You're doing *business* on an open source project primarily made by unpaid
volunteers and you've not even tried to contribute nor help out. We'd take you
more seriously if you'd roll up your sleeves and helped us fix specific
problems.

You're using packages that are patched, produced and provided by *distros*. We
in the curl project doesn't have much say in what they do and how they ship
curl. And we certainly do not always have the same goals nor view what we
should provide to the users the same way.

You seem to imply that we shouldn't support as much as we do but rather
restrict ourselves to less functionality and less choice instead of you simply
making sure that you build and provide what you RELY on.

As Dan already mentioned, I don't believe in forcing a lowest common
denominator in the SSL backend support - but sure, that then leaves it to the
ones who build and package curl/libcurl to realize that not all backends are
alike.

Lastly, this mailing list is for the curl command line tool - which I don't
think you're talking about...

If you want to proceed and discuss specific problems in libcurl, please take
them to the curl-library list and we'll work on them one by one. But please
avoid sweeping generalisms, they won't help.