Re: proxytunnel no longer working for ftp after c43127414d89ccb9ef6517081f68986d991bcfb3

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 23:43:42 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 21 Oct 2013, Scott MacFiggen wrote:

> I recently upgraded from curl 7.19 to 7.30 and a couple of teams have
> reported back to me that this broke a use case, both around doing ftp over
> proxyconnect. The result is the transfer just hangs (see output below)
>
> So first question is, can anyone replicate? I only have access to the proxy
> servers where I work which are somewhat custom so would be great if anyone
> can let me know if this reproduces on a different proxy.

I've seen similar reports before, but I've never managed to repeat it and I
don't think anyone tried tracking it down properly.

I tried your exact command line just now and it worked fine with my local
proxy. I'll try some other tricks to see if I can trigger this problem.

> Using git bi-sect I tracked this down to the following commit:
>
> commit c43127414d89ccb9ef6517081f68986d991bcfb3

Yeah, unfortunately that was a rather large commit and it changed a lot of
internal choices at once so there's really no way to easily go back or just
revert something smallish.

We need to just roll up our sleeves and dig in with traditional debugging to
figure out what exactly that's going on or isn't going on!