Re: curl hangs at " to connect to any host

From: Martin Spliff <martin.spliff_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 22:31:03 +0200

> Does curl work to http://www.google.com (i.e. no https)? Do other
> programs
> connect to port 443 just fine (e.g. wget, or even a web browser)? Is
> there
> a proxy in use on the system? If you've tried curl without
> --with-darwinssl
> then I would expect the results to be different, for example.

Dan,

As I mentioned earlier: doesn't matter if it is http or https, the
result is the same - hang at "Trying". When I run in my OS X 10.7:

$ telnet curl.haxx.se 80
Trying 80.67.6.50...
Connected to curl.haxx.se.
Escape character is '^]'.

$ curl -v curl.haxx.se
* About to connect() to curl.haxx.se port 80 (#0)
* Trying 80.67.6.50... (hang)

I was wondering if that could be timeout issue, but it seems that even
if I pass --connect-timeout parameter, cURL does not abort trying to
connect after 5 seconds

$ curl -v curl.haxx.se --connect-timeout 5
* About to connect() to curl.haxx.se port 80 (#0)
* Trying 80.67.6.50... (hang)

while wget works just OK.

$ wget curl.haxx.se
--2013-10-20 22:14:36-- http://curl.haxx.se/
Resolving curl.haxx.se... 80.67.6.50, 2a00:1a28:1200:9::2
Connecting to curl.haxx.se|80.67.6.50|:80... connected.
Length: 11742 (11K) [text/html]
Saving to: `index.html.1'

cURL runned on Ubuntu on the same machine works just fine, so I guess
this is a problem with my OS X or my compilation of cURL. Is it possible
to be an interaction with other apps/libs on my OS X?

PS. I've skipped to another thread because of not changing e-mail
subject from the digest email - sorry for that. I'm switching back.