Re: Question on using Curl on OpenVMS to send files as email attachments

From: Malcolm MacArthur <macartm_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 18:40:07 +0100

Finally, a question I might be able to shed some light on. I now administer
the last VMS system at my corporation and it's due for shutdown at end of
September... RIP VMS!

VMS doesn't handle uppercase options very well. The problem is, DCL
switches everything to uppercase, and when it reaches the C RTL, the case
information is lost. The C RTL then converts it all to lowercase for argc
and argv processing ... In most cases, most Unix utilities use lowercase
options and this isn't a problem.

However, you come across cases where uppercase options are needed.

The solution I have seen with ZIP and UNZIP is to put the uppercase options
in quotes i.e. "-T". As far as I'm aware this is passed from DCL to the C
RTL, and when it comes to argc/argv processing, the case is retained.

Just one of those VMS specific peculiarties ...

Hope that helps,
Malcolm