Re: SIGPIPE downloading with redirection

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 11:34:58 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013, Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:

>> If I'm not mistaken, you're using a curl built to use OpenSSL which
>> doesn't really allow us to use it without risk an EPIPE. The real
>> fix here (apart from adding this ability to OpenSSL) I think, is to
>> make sure that curl adds a signal handler that ignores EPIPE...
>
> Humm can't curl just close that socket earlier? That'd do, I guess.

That's not possible, no. I mean, sure we could in theory close the connections
after N seconds of inactitivty at the expense of connection re-use, but then
we still have this problem for all sites that close idle connections after N-1
seconds. There is no value for N that is guaranteed to work everywhere and
everytime, we have to use a concept that can handle a dead connection.