Re: first time build from source - need help with errors

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 13:48:01 +0100

On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 03:39:49AM -0800, Jeff Shearer, CISA, CISSP wrote:
> Daniel Stenberg directed me to http://curl.haxx.se/dev/runtests.html to learn
> how to run each of the tests. I have run each of the tests, they all indicate
> that there is an "uninitialized value $p in string eq at /usr/local/lib/perl5/
> 5.10.1/BSDPAN/BSDPAN.pm line 36."

This should be treated as a warning, not an error, and ought to be
safely ignored.

> Tests 507, 526, 527, 532, 534, and 546 also indicated two additional errors:
>
> Use of uninitialized value in require at /usr/home/myuid/installs/curl-7.28.1/
> tests/runtests.pl line 80.

This is a warning, and shoudn't cause a test failure.

> Can't locate serverhelp.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/
> BSDPAN /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1/mach /usr/local/lib/perl5/
> site_perl/5.10.1 /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/mach /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1
> . .) at /usr/home/myuid/installs/curl-7.28.1/tests/runtests.pl line 80.

This is more serious. For some reason, runtests.pl can't find this file
to include. I'm assuming it's readable.

> I reviewed the ouput of ./configure --help to see if I could specify the path
> to serverhelp.pm so I could run the ./configure again but I am too unfamiliar
> with the process to be certain of what I am doing.

There's no way to do it there--it should be found automatically. It
could be something to do with your perl installation. Or, perhaps
there's a dependency missing, like the Exporter.pm dependency in
serverhelp.pm.

> Here is the full out put from test 20:
>
> # /curl-7.28.1/tests/runtests.pl 20 <

You'll get much more useful information for debugging this and other tests by
specifying the -d and -v options to runtests.

> test 020...[attempt connect to non-existing host name]
>
> curl returned 7, when expecting 6
> exit FAILED

This might be due to a broken DNS implementation on this machine or its
recursive DNS resolver. Does the command "host non-existing-host.haxx.se"
return an error? It should. If it's a DNS problem, you can skip this and
similar tests by specifying "!non-existing\ host" on the runtests.pl
command-line. Several of the tests you mention are failure rely on
correct DNS behaviour, so this might be the answer to a number of those
failure.

>>> Dan