Re: curl-users Digest, Vol 87, Issue 13

From: Sagar Hagawne <shagawne_at_apsiva.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 15:57:45 +0530

> Betreff: Re: The HTTPS CURL get slower than HTTP CURL
>
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2012, Sagar Hagawne wrote:
>
>> if i am using the http as a protocol it just grab the values in a few
>> seconds(3 to 4) but using https its a big issue around 40 sec it takes when
>> i am calling curl_easy_perform(curl) why so?
>
> HTTPS implies a few extra round-trips and more CPU processing in both ends,
> but it really shouldn't make any significant difference speedwise.
>
> My only explanation is that the server is very very slow. You can investigate
> the network details with a tool like wireshark to figure out the exact details
> that go over the wire.

After doing some additional research, here is more information that I
found out:

1) The delay issue only occurs the first time that curl_easy_perform()
is called.
2) When tailing my server's Apache ssl_access_log, the call to the
server didn't even register for 23-25 seconds, after curl_easy_perform()
was called.
3) On all subsequent calls to the exact same curl_easy_perform(), the
ssl_access_log was immediately updated with a log entry.
4) I then tried a different URL ( https://mail.google.com/ ) and the
exact same things occurred. The first call took 23-25 seconds to get a
response, while all subsequent calls were instantly returned.

The problem seems to be some sort of initializing issue. We are using
version of curl 7.27.0.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sagar