Re: man curl review

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 13:50:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012, Anthony Bryan wrote:

Thanks for the work on this Anthony!

> versions (which it is if it is IPv6-capable), this option tells
> libcurl to resolve names to IPv6 addresses only. default sta‐
> tistics.
>
> ---should "default statistics." be at the end there?

No. And I have no idea how it got there! =)

> If this option is used several times, the last one will be used. IP
> "--data-ascii <data>" See \fI-d, --data\fP.
>
> ---looks like this should be like this so it formats correctly when the man
> page is generated.
>
> If this option is used several times, the last one will be used.
>
> .IP "--data-ascii <data>" See \fI-d, --data\fP.

Yeps!

> --digest
> (HTTP) Enables HTTP Digest authentication. This is a authentica‐
> tion that prevents the password from being sent over the wire in
> ---"This is an authentication..." (method? scheme?)

I would say "method", but RFC2617 says "scheme" so I figure that makes the
most sense.

> If this option is used several times, the following occurrences
> make no difference.
>
> ---"If this option is used several times, only the first one is used." ?

Yes, we should use the same way of phrasing for all the options that work the
same way.

> "an FTP" -> "a FTP"

I believe I was taught in school that the initial sound was the important part
when considering 'a' vs 'an'. So since we say eff tee pee it begins with a
vowel and hence it should be 'an'.

> --metalink & --include should be underlined

Yes. For that to happen they should be written \fI--metalink\fP etc. That
makes it fine nroff syntax for the man page and roffit will convert that to a
link in the html version of the document. Every time we mention options in the
descriptions we should put them within \fI \fP pairs.

> some commands show which protocol they concern at the beginning (HTTP) etc,
> while others state in prose at the end ("This option is only for SCP and
> SFTP transfers."):

> could we do this a uniform way? I like the protocol at the beginning myself.

I like in the beginning myself too. It would be really nice to have this
cleaned up, yes.