Why does curl use CRLF line terminators for its --dump-header option?

From: Tom Dignan <tom.dignan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 02:56:07 -0400

So I was just using curl and I banged my head against the wall for about 30
minutes trying to figure out why my script wasn't working properly, and
then I realized that --dump-header uses CRLF line terminators. Any chance
of getting this changed to unix line endings in a future release?

Curl version:

tom_at_tralfamadore ~/Fun $ curl --version

curl 7.21.6 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.21.6 OpenSSL/1.0.0e
zlib/1.2.3.4libidn/1.22 librtmp/2.3
Protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher http https imap imaps ldap pop3 pop3s
rtmp rtsp smtp smtps telnet tftp
Features: GSS-Negotiate IDN IPv6 Largefile NTLM SSL libz

This is the latest curl in Linux Mint 12.

Proof of concept

#!/bin/bash

curl http://google.com --dump-header foo &>/dev/null
file foo