Question about CURL 28 Timeout Error

From: Jake Heng <jlheng_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 15:57:40 -0500

Hi Dan:

Just earlier today you answered a question I had about CURL. Because I'm
uploading items to an Windows FTPS server, I'm not able to use the TCP
KEEPALIVE command. Files are uploaded successfully, but we get this error:

100 62.5M 0 0 100 62.5M 0 213k 0:05:00 0:05:00
--:--:-- 0* FTP response timeout

* control connection looks dead

100 62.5M 0 0 100 62.5M 0 213k 0:05:00 0:05:00
--:--:-- 0* Connection #0 to host website.abc left intact

curl: (28) FTP response timeout

* Closing connection #0

* SSLv3, TLS alert, Client hello (1):

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jake

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your work on CURL. We have been using it extensively to
upload files to our servers.

One problem that we are experiencing is a timeout 28 error. I noticed your
post on the subject on this link:
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2009-08/0059.html

Since that was posted some years ago, I was wondering if there have been
any changes to CURL since than. Is there a newer version that might not
exhibit this error?

Thank you!
Daniel Stenberg
1:59 PM (1 hour ago)
to me
If you're talking about the curl command line tool, it now uses TCP
KEEPALIVE by default and you can change the period with --keepalive-time.

If you're talking libcurl, you need to do the TCP KEEPALIVE magic yourself.
We have a patch pending that will add this logic to the library "soon".

And please, if you have anything else to ask or comment on curl, use the
proper mailing list!