Re: The tool, curl, can not work with protocol ftp with an IPv6 Link-Local address

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 22:56:24 -0800

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 11:41:34AM +0800, Wang, Brandon wrote:
> Hi, everybody,
>
> I tried to use curl to visit an FTP server with an IPv6 Link-Local
> address below.
> $curl ftp://test:123456@fe80::92fb:a6ff:fe0a:510b%eth0/ -v

This isn't the syntax I'd expect for an IPv6 LL URL--I'm surprised
you got as far as you did. There are a number of things that are
suspect. First, the address should be entirely enclosed in square
brackets. Second, because of the [], you have to use the -g option to
disable globbing. Third, since the interface is part of the URL, the
percent needs to be URL-escaped. Fourth, interface names aren't always
supported--you may need to use the index number instead.

Try this instead:

   curl -g 'ftp://test:123456@[fe80::92fb:a6ff:fe0a:510b%251]/' -v

replacing the final '1' with the correct index.

>>> Dan