RE: FTP-download of zero size files

From: Young,Jim <Jim.Young_at_cerner.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 10:24:51 -0600

Fred wrote:
> The curl version I am using (7.21.4) does not FTP-download empty (size=0) files.
> I've seen this problem brought out on the mailing list in messages back in 2003.
> As it is still there, is it to be considered as a feature ?
> I find it quite unfortunate, the presence of file being a non negligible piece of information !

This behavior doesn't happen when connecting to all ftp servers. I've noted it connecting to an Ipswitch MoveIT server but not to plain vanilla UNIX/Linux ftp servers. I've programmed around the problem in my shell scripts by listing the file first and having the shell script decide what to do with the file if it's zero length. (In my case I simply delete the file from the server, log the fact that I did it and move on.)

I've noticed other odd behavior in the interaction between my MoveIT server and curl. Curl versions after 7.19.4 seem to have trouble sending files > 16k to the MoveIT server. Prior to 7.21.3 curl didn't even report that the transfer failed. Now, at least it does that much.

I've always thought that this odd behavior must be related to something odd with MoveIT because the same versions of curl don't have these problems on any other ftp server I've tried.

Jim

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE This message and any included attachments are from Cerner Corporation and are intended only for the addressee. The information contained in this message is confidential and may constitute inside or non-public information under international, federal, or state securities laws. Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, or use of such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error by e-mail or you may call Cerner's corporate offices in Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A at (+1) (816)221-1024.