Misleading naming of features

From: <1983-01-06_at_gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 14:21:25 +0200

hi folks,

this is somewhat related to my previous message (fbopenssl and SPNEGO) but I wanted to open a separate thread for this.

My prime assumption on GSSAPI and SPNEGO support for cURL was false because the configure script.

It says:
GSSAPI support: yes/no
SPNEGO support: yes/no.

Now, if you compile with GSSAPI support curl --version gives you:
Features: ...GSS-Negotiate...

This is, imho, completely wrong. Eventhough there is still no support for Negotiate auth in HTTP. You need fbopenssl. But this should work for ldap, smtp, ftp and stuff.

Since GSSAPI and SPNEGO are not the same, it should clearly say:
Features: ...GSSAPI...

with the auth option --gssapi for appropriate protocols.
But now if you need SPNEGO on top, compile it in and have
Features: ...GSSAPI SPNEGO...
Now you could do for HTTP: --negotiate

As a remark, Active Directory supports both for auth with SASL: GSSAPI and GSS-SPNEGO.

This would tremendiously clarify this naming problem and avoid traps in which I felt in.

Mike