libcurl client-certificate based authentication via https

From: Jochen Schaefer <jschaef_at_novell.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 14:42:37 +0100

Hi list,

I need to configure client-certificate based https communication to an apache2 webserver via libcurl from
a linux server.

I'm able to build a valid connection via curl cmdline tool and --cert and --capath parameter.
Specifying them in .curlrc is working fine as well as specifying them on cmdline.

However since the application is using libcurl and not curl cmdline tool it does not parse .curlrc.
I don't know how to tell libcurl to use a certain client certificate for the connection. The tool which
will be used is an external tool. Hacking it and specify the appropriate options in the code
like outlined in the FAQ is not possible.

I need to hand over the certificate path, etc somehow. Is there any default place where libcurl is looking for
a client certificate? Or can I specify it via an environment variable or something like that?

Thanks,
Regards,
Jochen