Sending a file using FTPES

From: SMITH Mick <mick.smith_at_sgcib.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 18:17:06 +0200

Hi there.

I'm attempting to transmit a file, on a daily basis, from a Windows Server in my company to an external host using FTP over Explicit SSL.

I have already done a successful transmission using filezilla with the settings advised to me by the external host and the filewall team in my company. Here is the connection window...

[cid:image001.png_at_01CC430C.75F94240]
And the log when I connect...
Command: USER MMODEVFTP
Response: 331 User name okay, need password for MMODEVFTP.
Command: PASS *********
Response: 230 User logged in, proceed.
Command: FEAT
Response: 211-Extensions supported
Response: SIZE
Response: MDTM
Response: REST STREAM
Response: LANG en;zh-tw;ja;is
Response: MLST Size;Modify;Type;Perm
Response: AUTH SSL
Response: AUTH TLS
Response: MODE Z
Response: UTF8
Response: TVFS
Response: MD5
Response: MMD5
Response: MFMT
Response: 211 End
Command: OPTS UTF8 ON
Response: 200 Command OPTS okay.
Command: SYST
Response: 215 UNIX Type: Apache FtpServer
Command: PBSZ 0
Response: 200 Command PBSZ okay.
Command: PROT P
Response: 200 Command PROT okay.
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/" is current directory.
Command: MODE Z
Response: 200 Command MODE okay.
Command: TYPE A
Response: 200 Command TYPE okay.
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (66,23,250,81,48,62)
Command: LIST
Response: 150 File status okay; about to open data connection.
Response: 226 Closing data connection.

Unfortunately filezilla does not offer any scheduling or command line tool, so I am using cURL command line so that I can schedule the command in a windows batch and run it daily.

Here is the command I'm using on a windows cmd session...

Ø curl -T test.txt -user MMOFTP:Pass123 -url staging.missionmode.com:4121 -proxy proxy-ese.fr.world.delta:1080

where test.txt is a file in the same folder as the curl.exe
MMOFTP:Pass123 is my FTP username and password on the remote host
staging.missionmode.com is the address of the remote host
4121 is the port I'm told to connect on the remote host
proxy-ese.fr.world.delta is the proxy in my company's domain used for outbound connections over the internet
1080 is the port used by the proxy to get out of my company's firewall

and here is the response I get...

[cid:image002.png_at_01CC4310.2A6854C0]

If I change any of these details I get a connection error, so I think I am making a successful connection to the host but not getting any further. i.e. My test.txt file is not being transmitted.
Does anyone have any idea what "(52) Empty reply from server" means?

Many thanks

Mick Smith
Analyst Programmer
ITEC/CSY/EMA London
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7676 6025
mick.smith_at_sgcib.com

Societe Generale Corporate & Investment Bank

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential, intended solely for the addressee(s), and may contain legally privileged information.
Any unauthorised use or dissemination is prohibited. E-mails are susceptible to alteration.
Neither SOCIETE GENERALE nor any of its subsidiaries or affiliates shall be liable for the message if altered, changed or
falsified.
Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le "message") sont confidentiels et susceptibles de contenir des informations couvertes
par le secret professionnel.
Ce message est etabli a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires. Toute utilisation ou diffusion non autorisee est interdite.
La SOCIETE GENERALE et ses filiales declinent toute responsabilite au titre de ce message s'il a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie.