Re: Cannot Create Truly Static Program With cURL

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 13:36:18 -0700

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 04:03:23PM -0400, brandonshw_at_aol.com wrote:
> Thanks. I do use only HTTP. Which of those options you included has the
> effect of making sure that everything is linked in statically to the libcurl.a
> that I produce?

None of them. libcurl.a only ever contains libcurl code, never anything else.
What those options do is to eliminate any features in libcurl that depend on
external libraries, so the end result is that libcurl.a and libc are the only
libraries that you should need to link with your app. 'curl-config
--static-libs' build in such a configuration should show only libcurl.a

> Here is the log with some irrelevant company sensitive file names omitted, but
> all of the errors showing:
[...]
> strerror.c:(.text+0x6e): undefined reference to `idna_strerror'
> ssluse.c:(.text+0xc): undefined reference to `SSLeay'
> openldap.c:(.text+0x172): undefined reference to `ldap_sasl_bind'

These errors indicate that the libcurl you're using has IDN, SSL and LDAP
support, which are disabled by the --without-libidn, --without-ssl and
--disable-ldap configure options, respectively.

>>> Dan