Re: Couldn't Connect To Host

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 08:37:40 -0700

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 11:04:15AM -0400, James Williams wrote:
> My company uses cURL embedded in an application to send FTP files to an IIS FTP
> Server. We use Passive FTP. I am usually able to resolve issues like this but
> this one has me stumped. I'm at a disadvantage in that I don't know the
> password for the FTP account that is being used but I should know that by
> Monday. Here is the output from FTP-cURL.log. I've changed the IP addresses
> to x.x.x.x.
>
> About to connect() to x.x.x.x port 21 (#0)
> Trying x.x.x.x... connected
> Connected to x.x.x.x (x.x.x.x) port 21 (#0)
> 220 Microsoft FTP Service USER xyz 331 Password required for xyz. 230-Welcome
> To The Company X FTP Server 230 User xyz logged in. PWD 257 "/" is current
> directory. Entry path is '/'
> CWD incoming 250 CWD command successful. EPSV Connect data stream passively
> 500 'EPSV': command not understood disabling EPSV usage
> PASV 227 Entering Passive Mode (x.x.x.x,21,36). Trying x.x.x.x... Timed out
> couldn't connect to host
> Closing connection #0

This is almost always caused by a misconfigured host or a firewall
somewhere between the client and the host. If the client has an IP
address accessible to the server, you can try the --ftp-port option. You
can also try the --local-port option in case the firewall is dependent
on the source port.

>>> Dan