Re: curl: (35) error:14094412:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 11:42:05 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, Don Cohen wrote:

> > curl: (35) error:14094412:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert
> > bad certificate

> It seems that this error comes from the server. I wish curl could tell me
> what part of the error is its own message and what part came from the
> server.

libcurl only provides a single error string so there's no distinction, and
also that error is not coming from the server. It is an error that OpenSSL
reports when communicating with the server, and libcurl reports that as it
might help.

> --key <key>
> (SSL) Private key file name. Allows you to provide your private
> key in this separate file.
> This evidently means that if you use --key then the -E need not
> contain your private key. I wish the man page mentioned that under
> the -E argument.

It does: "See --cert and --key to specify them independently."

> In fact it would be better not to even allow this concatenated version,

We take pride on not breaking backwards compatibility without very careful
considerations and in this case I see no reason at all to do it.